Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Antony and Cleopatra Act 3, Scene 12

Go to: Antony and Cleopatra Table of Contents where you can also compare this scene to Shakespeare’s original.
Egypt. Octavius Caesar’s camp.
(Octavius Caesar, Dolabella, and Thyreus enter, along with others)
Octavius Caesar: Bring Antony’s messenger in. Do you know who the messenger is?
Dolabella: It’s the teacher he keeps for his children, Caesar. You can see what a low position Antony’s in if he has to send such an unimportant person as a teacher as his messenger. He had kings serving as his messengers a few days ago.
(Euphronius enters)
Octavius Caesar: Come here and speak.
Euphronius: As low as I am, I have come from Antony. Until recently I was as unimportant to him as a drop of dew is to the ocean.
Octavius Caesar: I understand. Deliver your message.
Euphronius: Antony salutes you as being the master of his fate and asks that you let him live in Egypt. If you will not allow him to live in Egypt, he simply requests that you let him live as a citizen in Athens. This is all he wants. Next, Cleopatra acknowledges your greatness and submits herself to your power. The only thing she wants is that you let her descendants continue to rule Egypt.
Octavius Caesar: As for Antony, I’ll pretend I didn’t even hear his request. But I have heard Queen Cleopatra’s request and I will grant it. The only thing she has to do for me is to force Antony to leave her country or else kill him there. If she does this, I will grant her request. This is my answer to both of them.
Euphronius: Good luck to you!
Octavius Caesar: Show him out. (Euphronius exits) (to Thyreus) It’s time to test your speech-making skills, Thyreus. Go to Cleopatra and make her turn away from Antony. Promise to give her everything she wants in my name. Offer her anything you can think of. Women aren’t strong enough to stand up to temptation when things are going well for them. When things are going badly, even a virgin priestess will forget her vows if the temptation is strong enough. So be as cunning as possible, Thyreus, and name your own price for your efforts. I’ll pay you whatever you want when you get back.
Thyreus: I’m on my way, Caesar.
Octavius Caesar: Pay attention to how Antony is dealing with his mistakes and try to see what he’ll do next.
Thyreus: I will, Caesar.
(all exit)
Go to: Next scene (Act 3, Scene 13) or Antony and Cleopatra Table of Contents where you can also compare this scene to Shakespeare’s original.

No comments:

Post a Comment