Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Antony and Cleopatra Act 3, Scene 11

Go to: Antony and Cleopatra Table of Contents where you can also compare this scene to Shakespeare’s original.
Alexandria, Egypt. Cleopatra’s palace.
(Mark Antony enters with some of his top officers)
Mark Antony: Listen! The ground is commanding me to stop walking on it. It is ashamed to carry me! Friends, come here. I feel like I’ve become so lost that I’ll never find my way again. I have a ship full of gold. Take it and divide it among yourselves. Then retreat and make your peace with Caesar.
All: We will not retreat.
Mark Antony: I’ve retreated. Friends, go. I don’t need you for what I’ve decided to do. My gold’s on the ship. Take it. Oh, I followed a woman that I’m embarrassed to even look at now. Even the hairs of my head are fighting against each other. The white hairs yell at the brown hairs for being too quick to jump into action. The brown hairs yell at the white hairs for being too afraid and slow to act. Go, friends. I’ll write letters for you to give to some of my friends so that they’ll help you. Please, don’t look sad. And don’t say you don’t want to go. Look at my own depression and take a hint. Leave me alone since I’ve already left myself. Go to the shore and take my ship and gold. Just, please, leave me alone for a little while. Please. I have truly lost my command, so please go. I’ll see you after a while.
(Friends exit, Mark Antony sits down)
(Charmian and Iras enter, leading Cleopatra, with Eros following behind them)
Eros: Go to him, gentle madam. Comfort him.
Iras: Yes, do, most dear queen.
Charmian: Yes, do. What else is there for you to do?
Cleopatra: Let me sit down. Oh, goddess Juno!
Mark Antony: No, no, no, no, no.
Eros: Do you see who has come to see you, sir?
Mark Antony: Oh, no, no, no!
Charmian: Madam!
Iras: Madam, oh good empress!
Eros: Sir, sir…
Mark Antony: (to himself) Yes, my lord, yes. Caesar kept his sword in its scabbard at Philippi while I was the one who killed the old and wrinkled Cassius. I was the one who killed Brutus. Caesar used his lieutenants to fight for him. He didn’t experience the war himself. But now…It doesn’t matter.
Cleopatra: (to the servants) Give us some room.
Eros: The queen is here, my lord.
Iras: Go to him, madam. Talk to him. He’s going crazy with shame.
Cleopatra: Well, then help me up again. (servants help her to stand)
Eros: Most noble sir, get up. The queen is coming. Her head is bowed and she will die unless you comfort her.
Mark Antony: I’ve gone completely against my reputation.
Eros: Sir, the queen.
Mark Antony: Oh, where have you led me, Egypt? Do you see how I try to hide to keep you from seeing my shame? I look at you and only see what I’ve lost.
Cleopatra: Oh, my lord, my lord. Forgive me for retreating. I was afraid. I never thought you would follow me.
Mark Antony: Egypt, you knew only too well that my heart was tied to your ships. You knew you were the ruler of my spirit and that your call could even make me disobey a command from the gods.
Cleopatra: Oh, forgive me!
Mark Antony: Now I have to send messages to Caesar, a man younger than me, begging him for peace. I have to lower myself. Me! I did whatever I wanted with half of the world, making and destroying other men’s fortunes. You didn’t know how much you had conquered me and how my sword, made weak by my love for you, would obey you in everything.
Cleopatra: Forgive me, forgive me!
Mark Antony: Don’t cry. One of your tears is worth all that has been lost or could have been won. Give me a kiss. Your kiss makes everything better. We sent the teacher to talk to Caesar. Has he come back yet? Love, I feel so heavy. (yelling to servants) Some wine and food! (to Cleopatra) The goddess Fortune knows that we hate her the most when we’ve lost the most.
(all exit)
Go to: Next scene (Act 3, Scene 12) or Antony and Cleopatra Table of Contents where you can also compare this scene to Shakespeare’s original.

No comments:

Post a Comment