Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Antony and Cleopatra Act 3, Scene 3

Go to: Antony and Cleopatra Table of Contents where you can also compare this scene to Shakespeare’s original.
Alexandria, Egypt. Cleopatra’s palace.
(Cleopatra, Charmian, Iras, and Alexas enter)
Cleopatra: Where is he?
Alexas: Half afraid to come in.
Cleopatra: Go get him, go get him. (the same Messenger comes in as before) Come here, sir.
Alexas: Your majesty, King Herod of the Jews wouldn’t even dare to look at you unless you were in a good mood at the time.
Cleopatra: I’ll have Herod’s head. But now that Antony’s gone, who will cut it off for me? (to the Messenger) Come here.
Messenger: Your gracious majesty.
Cleopatra: Did you see Octavia?
Messenger: Yes, my fear-inspiring queen.
Cleopatra: Where did you see her?
Messenger: In Rome, madam. I saw her walking with her brother and Mark Antony.
Cleopatra: Is she is tall as I am?
Messenger: No, madam.
Cleopatra: Did you hear her talk? What kind of voice does she have? Is it high-pitched or low?
Messenger: I did hear her speak, madam. She has a low voice.
Cleopatra: Oh, well, a low voice isn’t very attractive. Mark Antony won’t like her for very long.
Charmian: Like her? Oh, the goddess Isis, it’s impossible that he could like her!
Cleopatra: I think so too, Charmian. Octavia has a bad voice and she’s short! (to the Messenger) How does she walk? Does she walk like a queen? You’ve seen how I walk.
Messenger: She creeps along. Her walk is as straight as her personality. She has no style, no life in her step. She’s like a statue.
Cleopatra: Are you sure?
Messenger: I’ve seen her.
Charmian: There aren’t three people in Egypt who can sing prettier than you are right now, messenger.
Cleopatra: This messenger sounds like he knows a lot. I can tell. There’s nothing special about Octavia after all. This man would know.
Charmian: He’s an excellent judge of things.
Cleopatra: (to Messenger) How old would you guess Octavia is?
Messenger: Madam, she’s old enough to have already been married once and become a widow.
Cleopatra: A widow! Did you hear that, Charmian?
Messenger: And I think she must be at least thirty.
Cleopatra: What about her face? Is it long or round?
Messenger: Round. Too round.
Cleopatra: And you know that people with round faces are usually fools. What color is her hair?
Messenger: Brown, madam. And she has a very small forehead.
Cleopatra: Here’s gold for you, messenger. I hope you won’t be too upset about how I treated you last time. I’d like to have you as one of my messengers again. You’re very good at it. Go, get ready. I have letters for you to carry.
(Messenger exits)
Charmian: That messenger is a good man.
Cleopatra: Yes, he is. I’m very sorry about the way I treated him. From what he says, it sounds like Octavia isn’t worth anything.
Charmian: Nothing, madam.
Cleopatra: The messenger’s seen royalty so he should know.
Charmian: Of course he’s seen royalty. He’s been serving you for so long!
Cleopatra: I have one more thing to ask him, good Charmian. Bring him to me where I’ll be writing.
Charmian: Yes, madam.
(all exit)
Go to: Next scene (Act 3, Scene 4) or Antony and Cleopatra Table of Contents where you can also compare this scene to Shakespeare’s original.

No comments:

Post a Comment