Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Antony and Cleopatra Act 3, Scene 4

Go to: Antony and Cleopatra Table of Contents where you can also compare this scene to Shakespeare’s original.
Athens, Greece. A room in Mark Antony’s house.
(Mark Antony and Octavia enter)
Mark Antony: And not only that, Octavia – if that were all he had done, I could fogive him. I’d forgive him for that and for thousands of things like it. But Octavius has made war against Pompey again. He’s written out what he wants to do and and has read his plans out loud to the public. And he speaks lowly of me. When he has to compliment me, he does it almost under his breath and without any enthusiasm at all.
Octavia: Oh, my good lord, don’t believe everything you hear. Or if you do believe it, don’t let it bother you. I would be the saddest woman in the world if you and Caesar fought. I’d have to pray for both of you and my prayers would cancel each other out. I’d pray to the gods, “Oh, bless my lord and husband!” But then that prayer would be cancelled when I prayed, “Oh, bless my brother!” If I pray for you, he loses, and if I pray for him, you lose. There’s no halfway point.
Mark Antony: Gentle Octavia, you must love the one who tries to keep your love the most. If I lose my honor, I lose myself. It would be better not to be your husband, than to be a husband with no honor. But as you asked, I will let you go speak to your brother and try to make peace between us. In the meantime, my lady, I’ll get ready for war against your brother. Now go quickly since you’re the one who wants to go.
Octavia: Thank you, my lord. I pray that the power of the chief god Jove will make a weak woman like me the person who brings you and Caesar back together! A war between the two of you would be like the world was being torn in half.
Mark Antony: When you see who has started this war, let that be the person you are unhappy with. Whoever is more in the wrong between me and him, love the other person more. Now get ready to go. Take whoever you want with you and spend as much money on the journey as you like.
(they exit)
Go to: Next scene (Act 3, Scene 5) or Antony and Cleopatra Table of Contents where you can also compare this scene to Shakespeare’s original.

No comments:

Post a Comment