Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Antony and Cleopatra Act 4, Scene 9

Go to: Antony and Cleopatra Table of Contents where you can also compare this scene to Shakespeare’s original.
Outside Alexandria, Egypt. Octavius Caesar’s camp.
(Three Soldiers enter, taking their positions on guard duty)
First Soldier: If someone doesn’t come to take our place in the next hour, we’ll have to return to headquarters. It’s already getting late and they say we’ll be fighting Antony again early in the morning.
Second Soldier: Today certainly didn’t go very well for us.
(Domitius Enobarbus enters)
Domitius Enobarbus: Oh, night, listen to what I have to say.
Third Soldier: (nodding toward Enobarbus) Who is he?
Second Soldier: Just listen to what he says.
Domitius Enobarbus: Listen to me, moon. When people remember all the wrong I, Enobarbus, have done in betraying Antony, remember also that I was sorry for it.
First Soldier: He’s Enobarbus!
Third Soldier: Be quiet! Keep listening.
Domitius Enobarbus: Oh, moon, queen of the depressed, let the night air drop poison on me so that I die. I don’t want to live anymore. Let my shriveled heart be slammed into the hardness of my guilt and burst into powder. Then I won’t have to keep thinking about what I’ve done. Oh, Antony, you are so noble that you’ve even forgiven me for rebelling against you. But let the rest of the world remember me as as traitor and a criminal. Oh, Antony! Oh, Antony! (he dies)
Second Soldier: Let’s go talk to him.
First Soldier: No, let’s hear what else he says. He might say something that we should report to Caesar.
Third Solder: Yes, we should keep listening. But he’s asleep now.
First Soldier: I think he’s fainted. He couldn’t fall asleep so soon after saying things like that.
Second Soldier: We should make sure he’s okay.
(the Soldiers walk up to Domitius Enobarbus)
Third Soldier: Sir, wake up. Talk to us.
Second Soldier: Can you hear us, sir?
First Soldier: The hand of death has taken him. (drums sound in the distance) Listen! It’s the drums calling for everyone to wake up. Let’s carry Enobarbus to headquarters. He was an important person and our hour for guard duty is finished.
Third Soldier: Come on, then. Maybe Enobarbus isn’t quite dead yet. He might get better.
(they exit, carrying the body of Domitius Enobarbus)
Go to: Next scene (Act 4, Scene 10) or Antony and Cleopatra Table of Contents where you can also compare this scene to Shakespeare’s original.

No comments:

Post a Comment