Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Antony and Cleoaptra Act 4, Scene 8

Go to: Antony and Cleopatra Table of Contents where you can also compare this scene to Shakespeare’s original.
Alexandria, Egypt. Outside the city walls.
(Trumpets sound. Mark Antony enters leading a march. Scarus is following him, along with others)
Mark Antony: Send a messenger to tell the queen that we’ve beaten Caesar back to his camp. Tomorrow, before sunrise, we’ll kill every one of Caesar’s soldiers that escaped today. I thank all of you. You are strong and have fought not like regular soldiers, but like this was a personal fight for you, as it has been for me. You are all as good of warriors as Hector of Troy ever was. Now go into the city and hug your wives and friends. Tell them all the brave things you did today while they wash your cuts with their happy tears and kiss your wounds all better. (Cleopatra enters, to Scarus) Let me shake your hand. (shakes Scarus’ hand) I’ll tell this great fairy of a woman all about your acts and may her thanks be a blessing to you. (to Cleopatra) Oh, you are the sunshine of the world. Chain my arm around your neck and jump up into my heart, straight through my armor. Let this triumphant soldier carry you.
Cleopatra: Lord of lords! You’re smiling! Have you really escaped the world’s greatest trap?
Mark Antony: My nightingale, we have beaten them all the way back to their beds. Why, my girl, even though there’s some gray now in my brown hair, I still have a good brain and can do anything a younger man can do. Look at this man (pointing to Scarus) Let him kiss your hand. Kiss it, my warrior. (Scarus kisses Cleopatra’s hand) He has fought like a god today, a god who loves to kill men.
Cleopatra: (to Scarus) My friend, I will give you a suit of armor made completely out of gold. It used to belong to a king.
Mark Antony: He deserves it, even if it were covered in gold like the chariot of the sun god Phoebus. Let me shake your hand again, Scarus. (shakes Scarus’ hand) Now let’s take the men for a victory march through the city. We’ll show everyone our battered shields. If the palace had enough room for such a large army, I’d have us all eat dinner together and stay up drinking until tomorrow. Oh, tomorrow will be dangerous too. Trumpeters, play all around the city for us. And shake the tambourines. Let the music of heaven and earth come together to applaud us.
(all exit)
Go to: Next scene (Act 4, Scene 9) or Antony and Cleopatra Table of Contents where you can also compare this scene to Shakespeare’s original.

No comments:

Post a Comment